At The Writers' Union of Canada we understand both the difficulties and the joys of being a writer in this country — from the isolation, frustration, financial difficulties, and the need for information and assistance to the elation that comes with each publication.
Benefits of membership
- Opportunities to meet and network with other professional writers across Canada, including at regional meetings, social events, and the Annual General Meeting
- Access to the Writers’ How-to series, including the Writers’ Guide to Canadian Publishers, the Contracts Self-Help Package, and professional development publications
- Access to readings programs, which provide hosts with subsidies to invite writers to perform a school or public reading.
- Subscription to Write, the Union’s quarterly magazine on the craft and business of writing in Canada
- Regular updates on the work of the Union through our e-newsletters
- Professional assistance with contracts and grievances
- Eligibility to be a paid evaluator for our manuscript evaluation service
- Access to a group health benefits plan, including a drug plan, hospital coverage, out-of-hospital benefits, vision care, hearing benefits, dental care, and specialists’ services
- Subsidized travel to the Annual General Meeting
- A member profile page on TWUC’s website where you can promote yourself and your work
When you join The Writers’ Union of Canada, your annual dues help us work on behalf of all writers to advocate for fair legislation to support writers and their work, and to ensure that writers receive fair financial compensation for their work.
To qualify for membership in The Writers’ Union of Canada, you must either
- have had a trade book published by a commercial or university press (or the equivalent in another medium) or
- have self-published a book that successfully demonstrates commercial intent and professionalism,
and you must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada, or identify yourself as an Aboriginal or Indigenous person born or resident within Canada.
Not yet eligible to join? TWUC offers lots of information for all writers in our resources section.
- Special offer for new members: $100 for first year of membership
- Annual membership: $205 ($200 if paid by cash, cheque, or money order)
The following discounted membership rates are also available:
- Members over the age of 80: $155/year
- Indigenous (First Nations, Métis, and Inuit) members: $50/year
- Members of the Writers’ Guild of Alberta: $185/year
Did you know? Your annual dues can be claimed as a tax-deductible business expense.