Elaine Kachala is a health-policy researcher, writer and adviser. She has over 20 years of writing experience with health agencies. Superpower? The Wearable-Tech Revolution is her first book. Elaine has a special interest in wearable technologies. She’s curious and hopeful but can’t help being a little worried about how wearables will impact our health, well-being and equity. With degrees in psychology and sociology from the University of Toronto and a master of environmental studies from York University, she brings a unique perspective to the topic. Elaine lives with her family in Toronto.
- Brief introduction to the book and the topic of wearable technology:
- I'll highlight what wearable technology is and how it works with examples of how wearables are impacting our lives and changing the world, including the pros and cons of technology; and,
- I’ll introduce students to inventors, engineers, scientists, and young people navigating the next tech frontier of wearable computing and the challenges they face in designing responsible technology.
2. I'll briefly speak about what it was like to write this book.
3. I'll use slides for visuals.
4. There will be Q/A opportunity.
5. I'll have free bookmarks to hand out and a Get Brainstorming activity (this is the last section in the book).
6. Notes to educators:
- There is a Discussion & Activity Guide for this book; I'll bring a copy; it's also available for free download on my website (elainekachala.com) and on Orca Book Publisher's website (orcabook.com).
- Superpower? is an award-winner! It's on the US National Science Teaching Association (NSTA) & Children's Book Council (CBC) Best STEM Books for K-12 Students (2023). I'm also honoured that it's on Tinlids Best Books for Schools & Libraries, Nonfiction, Fall 2022. It was also reviewed by SLJ and featured in TEACH Magazine (July/Aug 2022 Issue) noting the book for inspiring stories about inventors and a valuable resource for STEM/STEAM learning.
- This book may be a helpful supplementary resource for the Revised Ontario Elementary Science & Technology Curriculum.
- After you contact me, we will chat so I can understand how to tailor my presentation so it supports your teaching and your students' interests and learning.