Vancouver Public Library: Writer in Residence (Graphic Novels)

Do you write and illustrate graphic novels? Vancouver, British Columbia, is the perfect setting for working on your next illustrated masterpiece. Spend the coziest days of the year surrounded by snowy mountain peaks and crisp water vistas while ensconced in a beautiful library full of surprises and opportunities guaranteed to spark your creativity. Enjoy four months writing in Vancouver, home to a remarkable natural environment and a lively cultural community.

Vancouver Public Library will host a resident graphic novelist between Aug. 28 and Dec. 15, 2017. The Writer in Residence program promotes Canadian writing and literature to Vancouver citizens. The aims of the residency are to foster greater public appreciation for Canadian writing, provide opportunities to interact with the resident author and to provide the space, time and resources for a Canadian author to write.

The Writer in Residence will develop exciting public programs and provide advice to emerging writers through one-to-one consultations and group workshops, as well as outreach to targeted communities. This full-time position (35 hours/week) requires 40 per cent of the author’s time be spent on library programs or projects, leaving 60 per cent of the work week available for creative writing.

Applicants must identify in their cover letter the innovative ways their residency and programs would foster an appreciation for Canadian writing. Residencies that involve communities not typically exposed to Canadian literature are particularly encouraged. We are interested in hearing from a wide variety of graphic novelists. Whether you write comics, non-fiction, young adult or children’s graphic novels, whatever genres you choose to work in, we want to hear from you!

Terms of employment are based on Canada Council guidelines, and the position and length of term are subject to Canada Council funding.

The selected Writer in Residence is responsible for working with the Library to write and submit a Canada Council funding request. This work is expected to take place in early 2017.

REQUIREMENTS

  • Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada
  • Significant body of titles published professionally
  • Professional teaching and public speaking experience
  • Enthusiastic about engaging the public in one-on-one and group settings
  • In the early working stage of a new writing project intended for book-length publication
  • Participation in grant request and media opportunities to promote the residency, the library and reading culture
  • The Writer in Residence must reside in Vancouver or the lower mainland for the full term of the residency

REMUNERATION

  • $4,250/month (contract position)
  • Assistance available for travel expenses

Please note: the successful candidate is responsible for finding his or her own accommodation in Vancouver for the term of the residency.

Expressions of interest must include:

  1. Cover letter and resumé, including literary publications, previous experience teaching and/or conducting public events, facilitating workshops and other forms of public presentation
  2. A brief description of the writing project you intend to pursue – please explain how a residency at Vancouver Public Library and access to its resources will benefit your project
  3. A brief outline of the public events you will offer during your residency, including your plans for engaging aspiring local writers
  4. Contact information for three references 
  5. A 20- to 30-page sample of recent writing along with reviews of earlier works

APPLICATION PROCESS

  • Completed applications must be received by 5 p.m. (PST) on Monday, May 22, 2017
  • Applications may be emailed in PDF format (one consolidated file preferred) to programs@vpl.ca
  • The selection process will include an in-person or Skype interview for short-listed candidates