Tell the Government You Want Canadian Books in Schools

As you may know, there are very few educational standards in Canada aimed at ensuring Canadian books are taught to Canadian students. The Province of Quebec leads the way with its “Act respecting the development of Québec firms in the book industry,” requiring provincial educators to purchase books for their schools through approved bookstores. In this way, a strong domestic book publishing and bookselling industry is encouraged. As well, British Columbia has for many years published a Standards for Educators guide that encourages a Canadian-first perspective. Beyond those two examples, there is nothing in place through any other provincial education ministry that requires a focus on Canadian stories.

TWUC would like to see that change. As education is a provincial/territorial responsibility, we are encouraging all members to write to their own MLA, MNA, or MPP to request a new standard for teaching Canadian.


Write the Letter

Below you will find a link to download a template letter. You can use as much or as little as you like of the information provided in the template. Personalize the letter with your own details — your own experience as an author, as an educator, as a student, or as the parent of a student.

Each template letter includes a link to a listing of MLAs/MNAs/MPPs in the province or territory. Use this list to find your representative's contact details. In addition, each template includes examples of appropriate salutations for the letter.

Make the case for the teaching Canadian books to Canadian students.

Template Letters: 

Click on your province or territory to download the appropriate template letter.

It is ready for you to personalize (again, use as much or as little of the letter as you like).

If the file doesn't open automatically, check your Downloads folder for the document. If you have any difficulty downloading the file, please email us at, and we will send you the template letter in another format.


Send the Letter

It is best to send a hard copy letter as emails often go unanswered. We ask that you copy your letter to the provincial Minister of Education as well — you will see that name and address CCed at the bottom of the template.

  • Please note: Unlike with letters to the federal Parliament, you DO need a stamp to send a hard-copy letter to a provincial politician.

In addition, we ask that you send a copy of your letter to the Union for our records. Please feel free to email your copy to the Union office.

  1. Mail your letter to your MLA/MPP. 
  2. Mail a copy of your letter to the Minister of Education for your province or territory.
  3. Email a copy of your letter to the Union at or send it by mail.