Finding Home in the Promised Land, a personal history of homelessness and social exile is now available as an ebook from Signature Editions as...
Short Prose Competition
Call for Submissions
24th Annual Short Prose Competition for Emerging Writers – $2,500 Prize
The Writers’ Union of Canada is pleased to announce that submissions are being accepted until February 1, 2017, for the 24th Annual Short Prose Competition for Emerging Writers. The winning entry will be the best Canadian work of up to 2,500 words in the English language, fiction or non-fiction, written by an author who has published no more than one book.
$2,500 for the winning entry, and the entries of the winner and finalists will be submitted to three Canadian magazines.
Writers Eden Robinson, Amy Stuart, and Russell Wangersky will serve as the jury.
This competition is open to all Canadian citizens and permanent residents who have had no more than one book published (traditionally or self-published) in any genre and who are not currently under contract for a second book. Writers not yet published in book format are eligible. Original, unpublished (English language) fiction or nonfiction is eligible. Members of The Writers’ Union of Canada are not eligible to enter the competition.
HOW TO SUBMIT ENTRIES:
- Entries should be typed, double-spaced, in a clear twelve-point font, and the pages numbered on 8.5" x 11" paper, saved as either a Word document or PDF.
- Please type the name of entrant and the title of entry on each numbered page. This is not a blind competition.
- Multiple entries are accepted, $29 per entry.
- Submissions will be accepted online or by mail. Choose one method only.
- Go to www.writersunion.submittable.com to fill out the application form and upload your entry.
- Payment will be made online on Submittable when uploading your entry, through PayPal or by credit card (VISA, MasterCard, or American Express).
- Online entries must be received electronically by 11:59 pm Pacific Time on February 1, 2017, to be eligible.
- Include a cover letter with your name; citizenship; address; telephone number; email address; title of entry (indicate fiction or nonfiction); word count; number of pages of entry; and a declaration that the work is unpublished and you have not previously published more than one book and do not have a contract with a publisher for a second one.
- Make cheque or money order payable to The Writers' Union of Canada. Multiple entries can be submitted together and fees can be added and paid with one cheque or money order, $29 per entry.
- Mail entries to: SPC Competition, The Writers’ Union of Canada, 460 Richmond Street West, Suite 600, Toronto, ON M5V 1Y1.
- Entries must be postmarked by February 1, 2017, to be eligible.
Results will be posted at www.writersunion.ca in May 2017.