- All entries must be Canadian-authored titles published in English between January 1, 2022 and December 31, 2022 and available through bookstores and libraries.
- Only first collections of short fiction are eligible.
- Co-authored or multi-authored collections are not eligible.
- Posthumously published works are not eligible.
- Only first editions are eligible. Second or later editions, revisions, and reprints are not eligible.
- Translations from other languages into English are eligible if all other criteria are met. In the event that a translation wins the prize, 75% of the award money will go to the author and 25% to the translator.
- Works that exist in electronic format only are not eligible.
- Publishers are invited to nominate authors by submitting their books.
- The jury may request the submission of titles as it sees ﬁt.
- The jury will have sole responsibility for the selection of a short list of no fewer than three and no more than five titles. One winner and two finalists will be chosen from the short list.
- The short list will be announced in the early spring 2023 and the winner will be announced in late spring 2023. It is understood that the finalists and the winner will make themselves available for any media associated with the prize.
- The Advisory Committee to the Danuta Gleed Literary Award shall interpret the criteria of eligibility of writers and publications with respect to all questions that may arise. The Advisory Committee will make all final decisions on such questions of eligibility.
- All submissions must be made by publishers. Submissions made by authors or anyone acting as their agent will not be accepted. There is no limit to the number of titles a publisher may submit.
- All submissions must be received by January 31, 2023.
- Submissions received after the final deadline of January 31, 2023 are ineligible even if they were published on or before December 31, 2022.
- Four copies of each title must be delivered to the Writers' Union. Submissions can be shipped to The Writers' Union of Canada, Attn Danuta Gleed Awards, 600 - 460 Richmond St W., Toronto ON M5V 1Y1. Books must be received by the deadline of January 31, 2023, to be accepted for the 2022 prize.
- Canadian author means any author with Canadian citizenship or permanent resident status in Canada at the time of publication.
- A book, or title, is a work that is bound and carries an ISBN.
- A publisher is a company that carries out as its primary business the publishing of books. Such ﬁrms must have established terms of trade and have coast to coast distribution in Canada.
For further information please direct all inquiries to:
The Danuta Gleed Award
The Writers’ Union of Canada
Each submission received will be acknowledged.